Companion Services & Respite Care
Often the advancement of age is accompanied with loneliness and isolation. Harmony offers a range of companionship services which can help to alleviate these feelings.
Companionship involves a variety of activities including:
- Stimulating conversation with those who are isolated or lonely
- Help with writing letters & managing correspondence
- Leisurely assisting with crossword puzzles or board games
- Reading newspapers or your favourite books
- Accompaniment on outings to run errands or to visit friends
- Assistance at the grocery store or at your medical appointments
- Quiet walks in the park or around your neighbourhood
- Car drives in the country or to special places
Our companion services are delivered to clients in their homes, and they are frequently provided to residents of retirement homes as well. These services do not replace the care provided by facility staff. They do, however, supplement that care by providing individual attention to your loved one either within or away from the facility.
In today's society, family members are frequently separated by great distances and it can be difficult to attend to the comforts of elderly parents. Harmony's companion services can provide peace of mind to adult children when they know that our experienced staff are there to attend to the personal comforts of their loved ones, either at home or during excursions into the community.
Harmony's services can also provide respite to family caregivers, allowing them the opportunity for rest and much needed personal time. Respite services are offered on an hourly basis, up to 24 hours daily, providing time for a short getaway or a longer vacation.
In addition to companionship, Harmony respite workers provide personal care and assistance with day-to-day activities such as housekeeping, laundry, shopping and meal preparation.
Respite care may be pre-arranged or requested on short notice in the event of an emergency.